Spending Quality Time with the Boss
When your boss asks you to go to spin class with her, GO!
A few weeks ago my boss invited me to a soul cycle class and I happily accepted. There were multiple benefits.
- The obvious is the fitness piece.
- Trying something new like a free class at Soul Cycle to see what the hype is all about is cool too.
- And then there’s the casual time with my boss.
Call me a brown nose if you want. But you don’t pay my bills and you don’t have the power to promote me or put in a good word on my behalf for that next job opportunity. Not to mention that I actually like my boss. She gave me an opportunity to spend time with her outside of work and get to know her from another perspective and vice versa. There are a lot of strategies to this like
- It builds trust. Let’s face it, we prefer to work with people we like and have things in common with.
- And let’s not forget the implications that come with fitness. She gets to witness my work ethic and fortitude and that I’m willing to try something new even if it’s challenging!
It does not have to be spinning or zumba. It can be golf or a drink or lunch in the cafeteria. There’s no harm in saying yes to casual non-business related “date” with your supervisor. It builds rapport and trust. So practice that small talk and put your sneakers on. #powermovemonday #solutionsnotresolutions You got this.